National Breweries Analysis of Logistics and Supply Chain Management

Published: 2021-09-03 11:35:14
essay essay

Category: Book Reports

Type of paper: Essay

This essay has been submitted by a student. This is not an example of the work written by our professional essay writers.

Hey! We can write a custom essay for you.

All possible types of assignments. Written by academics

This module project proposal is an analysis of the supply chain of National Breweries Plc based within Zambia that produces 'Chibuku' a traditional alcoholic beverage. The product is an opaque beer made from the brewing process of sorghum, maize, water and other malt through a fermentation process (Parawira et al, 2008). The beverage has a product lifetime of approximately one to four days due to the continued microbial activities that continue to ferment the product after packaging and distribution and consequently falls into a category of a perishable product (Okafor, 1990). Due to the nature of the product and a population of 94.7% relying on the product as means of socializing, traditional ceremonies and other social aspects a large market opportunity to exploit within Zambia (IDL, 2002).
Though the product has a very short lifetime there is a large market size for this product and from National Breweries current income statement showing a profit after tax of USD$6.2million and sales revenue of USD$45.8million consequently a study on the organizations performance and logistic network will aid in understanding the reasons for its success and being responsive in managing the supply chain.
1. Introduction
National Breweries Plc (Natbrew) an organization that was incorporated in 1968 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Heinrich's Syndicate Limited that brewed opaque bulk opaque beer known as "Chibuku Shake Shake", was acquired in 1999 by SABMiller owning 70% and the other 30% trading on the Lusaka stock Exchange and being owned by the public (Natbrew, 2011). The organization initially owned fourteen plants across the nation but after the acquisition by SABMiller, there are now five operational plants that are strategically located in provincial cities across the nation with good distribution networks. The organization has three types of products of which two are packaged and target wholesale distributors and the other product is distributed as 'bulk' in large container drums directly to retailers. The idea of the packaged product is to extend the products lifetime due to supplying to wholesalers targeting retailers and this extends the products lifetime by approximately three days. A distinguishing feature of a perishable product is that it has a finite lifetime and hence the age of the product must be considered in managing the products logistic functions (Ketzenberg & Ferguson, 2006).
The organizations market share is approximately 64% of the total market share in terms of volume of sales with a product feature of it being a perishable product with a lifespan of approximately four days. The whole idea of the project is to understand the organizations structure, logistics and distribution network in managing its products and being responsive across the entire supply chain and meeting market demands.
2. Nature of the Market and National Breweries Challenges
The total market size of the consumption of beer within Zambia is 2.8 million hector litres where approximately 877 thousand hector litres for clear locally produced beer; 23 thousand hector litres for imported beer; 1.9 million hector litres for traditional beer with Natbrew selling 1.8 million hector litres showing in terms of volume that Natbrew has a share of approximately 68%. The figure below clearly depicts the organizations market share in terms of volume of sales (SABMiller, 2011):

Warning! This essay is not original. Get 100% unique essay within 45 seconds!


We can write your paper just for 11.99$

i want to copy...

This essay has been submitted by a student and contain not unique content

People also read